Search This Blog

Sunday 23 February 2014

Introduction


Welcome to my web mapping tutorial. In this blog I will build various web mapping schemes on Linux systems. I chose two distributions: Debian and Fedora. This blog will cover the steps of making a working environment for web based WMS and WFS services without attempting to be comprehensive. I am doing this for a study, which of course has a deadline. If I will have some time left on my hands, then I will write about WPS based on GRASS. There will be posts about PostgreSQL and PostGIS, MapServer, GeoServer, Mapnik, Tilemill, OpenLayers, GeoExt, Leaflet and if time permits, Geomajas and tile caching softwares. There will be maximum two posts a week beginning with a partitioning scheme and Apache configuration. 
If you follow my steps there is a good chance you will have a working mapserver in your hand. Unfortunately, I won't have time to go in little details, so I will require some basic knowledge:

  • A working server machine without any more hardware considerations.
  • Basic GIS experience (SQL queries, data types, projections)
  • A working Linux distribution.
  • Basic Linux experience (some terminal commands, shell, runlevels, filesystem hierarchy)
The main goal of this study to find the best solution for different purposes. There will be comparisons between the most popular mapservers, browser UIs and complete WebGIS frameworks (like QGIS and TileMill). If you will have any questions about my future posts, don't hesitate to contact me via comment or e-mail (raandal73@gmail.com).

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Web mapping tutorial by Gabor Farkas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License